Wednesday 4 September 2013

CBT and Graded Exercise Therapy (GET)

As a psychology graduate I have been interested and highly sceptical of the effects of CBT and GET on ME/Fibro.  Particularly as I've noticed mood has very little or no impact on my ME.  I can be in a very positive, happy and excited mood, but that has little or no effect on my level of pain.  If anything it makes my pain more obvious, as I'm less likely to rest if I have things I need to do.  

Generally when I'm in that sort of mood its because I'm seeing someone or doing something excited, like our recent trip to Natural Mamas camp.  My ME/Fibro was atrocious on the day we arrived.  Every effort I put in to setting up camp was a complete battle.  Both mentally and physically, I had a lot of brain fog which impairs my ability to think (and communicate) on arrival day.  All this was despite me being in a happy and positive mood.  

I don't understand how learning to think differently about my ME (which is essentially what CBT or cognitive behavioural therapy attempts to achieve) will affect my pain and indeed health.  I don't think my ME is due to an error in processing, and CBT in my opinion addresses errors in processing.  That's why it is successful in treating anxiety which is due to our interpretation of the world around us.  I don't personally believe that's how ME works.  Anyway.  In this case too much knowledge may be a bad thing, and I might be proved wrong.  This report seems to suggest that I shouldn't get my hopes of improvement too high though.

I have added a couple of links to research websites today as well.  Take a look, some of the information on there is fascinating (worth directing your GP too as well)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I suffer from depression and I feel that in my case it is caused by a chemical imbalance in my brain. I know some people have good results with CBT, but I do not see how something which has affected me in distinct periods over my life will be changed by talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CBT is actually quite different from traditional talking therapies Heather, it can include things like meditation, guided relaxation techniques, all sorts. They don't focus on the source of the problem and trying to get to the bottom of it, and instead focus on changing the way we feel about situations. I think it has its place for things such as anxiety management. Depression I am less sure of its positive effects. I'll have to get back to you on whether it helps with a neurological disorder such as ME. I suspect it won't but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog, I'm glad I found you :). I agree, I don't see how CBT (or GET) can help with a neurological illness like M.E (but I do see how it can help people suffering with anxiety etc..). I will be sharing this, it is good food for thought!

    ReplyDelete